December 4th, 2019
Questions to Think About When Choosing the Right ATS
Choosing the right ATS is a difficult task. It will serve as the backbone of your company for many years to come, as it is usually a long term commitment. However, you can make it easier by knowing what you can expect and what you should look for. To help you, we’ve made a short list of key elements to think about.
1. Pick a monthly plan that fits your budget and needs
As we’ve already mentioned, the commitment that you make with a tool will be a long term one. Your decision should be made based on the planned budget and your needs. When it comes to pricing, this is what you should look for when choosing your ATS:
- Monthly subscriptions with a fixed fee - Same fee every month, helping you plan your budget and expenses.
- Unlimited candidates and job postings - No restriction to how many jobs and candidates you can add to your selection process, and no hidden fees.
- Unlimited uploads - Build your candidate pool without worrying about the number of uploaded documents (such as CV, motivational letter, etc.).
When choosing the right monthly plan, read through everything that it offers, and check if something that you need is not listed. Don’t hesitate to ask for support through quick chat, if you are unsure about the offer or some features.
Additional expenses can catch you off guard, and pop up out of nowhere. To avoid ending up spending more than planned, your ATS should have:
- Easy access to the reports - The data that you collect is yours; there is no need to spend additional money for it.
- Self service onboarding - When you purchase an ATS with a monthly subscription, you should be able to use it without paying extra for the setup. If the onboarding is so complicated that you cannot do it yourself, then it is probably a good idea to search for another ATS.
- Free support - Customer support should not be an extra feature, but rather a default one.
Hidden expenses can be easily avoided if you do your research on the tool that you will use. Keep in mind that once you purchase a subscription, you should have access to all the tools that you need to start working effectively.
3. Reliable and experienced customer service
As companies scale it is important to have responsive customer support. Before making a purchase, see if your ATS includes these:
- Free video tutorials - The first line of support are short or longer videos that demonstrate how features of the tool are used. These should be free and available even to those who did not purchase the tool.
- FAQ - A good FAQ page can help you when you want a fast solution to a problem, and can’t wait for someone to reply to your ticket.
- Online chat - A feature that both visitors and customers can use, without additional expenses.
- Quick response time - Find customer support that will be responsive and help you solve the problem at short notice.
- Competent support staff - You do not want someone from a call center with a premade script, keeping you waiting and running in circles. Instead, find customer support where your problem will be investigated and solved by a skilled people.
If your business is just starting out, you might not realize the true importance of a good customer support. As time passes and your company grows, some issues might happen and you’ll want to solve them efficiently and fast.
4. More than features
A lot of applicant tracking systems will have similar features to offer, but other aspects can help you differentiate them, both in quality and pricing. Let’s take a look at some:
- Simplicity - The tool should be simple to use, meaning that even people who are less skilled with personal computers can easily manage all the features that the tool has to offer.
- Price/Quality ratio - What you pay for VS what you are getting should be balanced, and the subscription fee transparent, with no hidden fees.
- Efficiency and reliable customer support - Choose a tool that will be simple and fast to use, with the support that you can always turn to.
Key features of the tool are its core when it comes to functionality, but the ones mentioned above make the true difference. Combining ease of use with valuable features and fair pricing, is the way to go.
5. Ease of use
We’ve already covered the importance of simplicity, but we want to say it once more - The ease of use is the essence of ATS. Some ATS tools have too many features and require from you to spend hours learning how to use them. Other tools were created to be easy to use and efficient at the same time. They can be recognized by these traits:
- Minimum to no training - The user interface is easy to work around and you can adapt to the tool within hours.
- All in one - Everything you need is in one place. Candidate pool, calendar for scheduling interviews, all of the candidates’ information, the selection process, reports.
- Flexibility - The tool adjusts to your needs, not the contrary. Its purpose is to help you do your job efficiently, and save your valuable time in the process.
At the end of the day, ease of use might easily be the most important feature you’ll ever want. In business, time is money, and a precious currency. Don’t get tangled up with complex tools and its countless features. Choose the one that knows how to balance between efficiency and simplicity.